Last Updated: September 1, 2015
Information we collect about you
General Summary We may collect information that can identify you as a real person such as your name and email address (“personal information”) and other information that does not identify you, whatever that may be. We may collect this information through a website or a mobile application including your preferences, likes, dislikes, how long you linger on our ads, or when you abandon the site. When you provide personal information through our website, the information may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world; it will likely even go and bounce off of a satellite in outer space so it is feasibly possible that aliens could intercept your personal information.
- Information you provide.We may collect and store any personal information you enter on our website or provide to us in some other manner. This includes identifying information, such as your name, address, email address, and telephone number, and, if you transact business with us, datingup.net or its vendors will collect and store financial information such as your payment method (valid credit card number, type, and expiration date, or other financial information). We may also request information about your interests and activities, your likes and dislikes, your preferences, your gender and age, and other demographic or wildly interesting information such as your hometown or your username.
- Information about others.We may collect and store personal information about other people that you provide to us, such as their name, address, and email address. If you use our website to send others (friends, relatives, colleagues, etc.) a product as a gift, we may store your personal information, and the personal information of each such recipient in order to process those requests or facilitate future activities.
If you become a Member, you represent and warrant that you have never been convicted of a felony and that you are not required to register as a sex offender with any government entity. Using the Service may be prohibited or restricted in certain countries. If you use the Service from outside of the United States, you are responsible for complying with the laws and regulations of the territory from which you access or use the Website or Service and datingup.net may cancel your membership if you cannot be verified, vetted, and confirmed as a real person and if you cannot pass our background check screening.
Background checks will be conducted by third-party vendors on all datingup.net Members before you will be allowed to use the datingup.net Website. GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT. These background checks will specifically check to see if you have a background that is contrary to the DatingUp mantra: REAL PEOPLE, REAL RELATIONSHIPS – Vetted,Verified, & Confirmed.
Our Background Check Vendors will check to see if you:
- Have been convicted of any felony
- Have been convicted or charged with any crime that includes: Assault, Battery, Domestic Abuse, Child Abuse, or similar charges
- Are listed on any criminal registry for sex crimes of any type
- If you are a fish of any kind, specifically a CATFISH
“Real People, Real Relationships” is our mission
In addition to a background check, we will also conduct a verification process on each member to make sure that you are a real person. This verification process is designed to ensure that each person on our site is vetted, verified, and confirmed to be a real person, not a fake.
This vetted, verified, and confirmed process will include but shall not be limited to verifying you as a real person by using any and all social media platforms to confirm you are a real person, use of internet security protocols of any type to verify you and/or your e-mail address, including geolocation protocols, web-tracking, cookies, and web analytics to make sure that you are a real person.
If you have any strikes on any of the items noted above that indicate you have any of the issues noted herein regarding Eligibility you will not be allowed to become a Member.
We reserve the right to cancel your service at any time if you violate the REAL PEOPLE, REAL RELATIONSHIPS – Vetted, Verified, & Confirmed policy by doing any of the following:
- Post fake photos or photos that violate our standards as noted herein.
- Make misrepresentations relating to age, employment, education, marital status, or criminal history
- Create a fake profile
- Violate the safe dating rules
- Information collected automatically. We automatically collect information from your browser or device when you visit our website or application. It’s your Internet footprint. This information could include your IP address, device ID, your browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us (See “Cookies” below), and the referring website address.
- Cookies and Use of Cookie Data. When you visit our website or application aka App, we may assign your device one or more cookies, (you cannot choose your favorite cookie flavor such as chocolate chip because our CTO tells us these aren’t the kind of cookies you bake and eat) to facilitate access to our site and to personalize your online experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your online activity on our site, such as the web pages you visit, the time and date of your visits, the links you click, and the searches you conduct on our site; collectively, this is our web analytics of your clicks as you navigate our website. During your visits to other websites where we advertise, we (or third parties) may use certain data collected on our site to show you the type of datingup.net advertisements likely to be of greater interest to you, aka targeted advertising. Although you may not opt out of receiving online advertisements generally, you may control the collection of data on our site used for targeted datingup.net advertising during your visits to other websites. To opt-out of datingup.net data collection for targeted advertising on other sites, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you actually do this, you are a reader because most people don’t read more than a Tweet anymore – it’s a downright shame. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the interactive features offered on our website. It’s a trade-off that you may choose.
- Other Technologies.We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons (not bacon, as cookies and bacon aren’t that yummy together [Editor’s counterpoint: Mmmmmm, bacon cookies…]) and other similar technologies, to track your use of our site. We also may include web beacons in advertisements or email messages to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer our website visitors to deliver targeted advertisements and to measure the overall effectiveness of our online advertising, content, programming, or other activities. So, we can give you what you seem to like based on your clicks.
- Information collected by third parties. We may allow service providers, our other owner and/or affiliated companies, advertising companies and ad networks, and other third parties to display advertisements on our site. These companies may use tracking technologies, such as cookies, to collect information about users who view or interact with their advertisements. Our website does not provide any personal information to these third parties but they do see what you click. This information allows them to deliver targeted advertisements and gauge their effectiveness. Some of these third-party advertising companies may be advertising networks that are members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers a single location to opt out of ad targeting from member companies (org).
How we use the information we collect
In General. We may use information that we collect about you to:
- deliver our products and services, and manage our business;
- manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services, or content offered by others;
- communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone, and/or mobile devices about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us, other IAC companies, or other third parties;
- develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our site and other sites, including providing our advertisements to you when you visit other sites;
- perform ad tracking and website or mobile application analytics;
- verify your eligibility and deliver prizes in connection with contests and sweepstakes;
- enforce or exercise any rights in our terms and conditions;
- perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection; and
- register you with and display your profile on other online dating and other social websites owned by DatingUp its parent or affiliated companies.
Financial information. We may use financial information or payment method to process payment for any purchases made on our website, enroll you in the discount, rebate, and other programs in which you elect to participate, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business. DatingUp does not store the financial information. Such information is stored by the DatingUp vendors who process our payments via a written agreement which requires them to protect your data and financial information in accordance with applicable law, rules, and regulations.
Job applicants. If your personal information is submitted through our website when applying for a position with our company, the information will be used solely in connection with considering and acting upon your job application. We may retain your personal information for a period of time, but only for the purpose of considering your application for current or future available positions and that time frame may be subject to change. This information, which may include your name and contact information, prior education and experience, and other information you provided to us, may be shared with other owned or affiliated companies for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for the particular position or other available positions, as well as with third-party service providers retained by us to collect, maintain, and analyze candidate submissions for job postings at DatingUp.
Please review “Your choices about collection and use of your information” below.
In all circumstances, we may perform these functions directly or use a third-party vendor to perform these functions on our behalf who will be obligated to use your personal information only to perform services for us. Also, if you access our website or mobile applications from a third-party social platform, such as Facebook, Instagram, etc., we may share non-personal information with that platform to the extent permitted by your agreement with it and its privacy settings.
With whom we share your information
Personal information. We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt out of having your personal information shared. We may share personal information with:
- Service providers: We may share information, including personal information, with third parties that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, ad tracking and analytics, member screenings, supporting our website functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys, and other features offered through our website or its mobile applications. We may also share your name, contact information, and credit card information with our service providers who process credit card payments. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
- Business partners: When you register or make purchases on our website or click-through our advertisements offered on third-party websites or applications, we may share personal information with the businesses with which we partner to offer you the applicable products, services, or any advertisements. When you elect to engage in a particular merchant’s offer or program, you authorize us to provide your email address and other information to that merchant. To opt-out of cookies that may be set by third party data or advertising partners, please go to http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
- Other DatingUp-related businesses: Such businesses include the online dating websites net. Information we collect, including your profile and personal information such as your name and contact information, photos, interests, activities, and transactions on our website, with DatingUp companies. As part of our online service, your profile may be registered on and/or appear in search results or other areas of other online dating websites owned by DatingUp Parent, Holding, or Affiliated Companies. All such companies comply with the DatingUp.
- Other Situations: We also may disclose your information, including personal information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud, or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy or alien takeover of earth.
Aggregated and/or non-personal information. We may share non-personal information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may also share it with the family of DatingUp companies and third parties to develop and deliver targeted advertising on our site and on websites or applications of third parties, and to analyze and report on advertising you see. We may combine non-personal information we collect with additional non-personal information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated, non-personal information, or personal information in hashed, non-human readable form, with third parties, including advisors, advertisers and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis or other business purposes. For example, we may engage a data provider who may collect web log data from you (including IP address and information about your browser or operating system), or place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser to enable you to receive customized ads or content. The cookies may reflect de-identified demographic or other data linked to data you voluntarily have submitted to us (such as your email address), that we may share with a data provider solely in hashed, non-human-readable form. To opt out of cookies that may be set by third party data or advertising partners, please go to http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
If you would like to opt-out of third-party mobile application ad tracking and analytics, please visit here.
Do Not Track Disclosure (“DNT”)
How you can access your information
Your choices about collection and use of your information
- You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of our site, not being a member or our site, failing your background check by failure to provide the base information necessary to complete said check because such information may be required in order for you to register as a member; purchase products or services; participate in a contest, promotion, survey, or sweepstakes; ask a question; or initiate other transactions.
- When you register on our site, you consent to receive email messages from us. You may modify this consent later by visiting the “Account Settings” page associated with your account. At any time you can choose to no longer receive commercial or promotional emails from us by visiting the “Account Settings” page associated with your account. You also will be given the opportunity, in any commercial email that we send to you, to opt out of receiving such messages in the future. It may take up to 10 days for us to process an opt-out request. We may send you transactional and relationship emails, such as service announcements, administrative notices, and surveys, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. Please note that changing information in your account, or otherwise opting out of receipt of promotional email communications, will only affect future activities or communications from us. If we have already provided your information to a third party (such as a service provider) before you have changed your preferences or updated your information, you may have to change you preferences directly with that third party.
- Our applications may also deliver notifications to your phone or mobile device. You can disable these notifications in your device’s settings in your datingup.net account under “Account Settings” or by deleting the relevant application.
- You can also control information collected by cookies. See below for information about declining or deleting cookies.
How we protect your personal information
We take appropriate security measures (including physical, electronic, and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. We want you to feel confident using our website to transact business. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through insecure email. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission’s website athttp://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/data.shtm for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
Information you provide about yourself while using our service
Although our website is a general audience site, we restrict the use of our service to individuals age 18 and above. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
Visiting our websites from outside the United States
No Rights of Third Parties
How to contact us
180 South 100 West
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062
A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user’s computer for record-keeping purposes. Cookies can be either session cookies or persistent cookies. A session cookie expires when you close your browser and is used to make it easier for you to navigate our website. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. Cookies on our website do not link to or store your personal information.
For example, when you sign in to our website, we will record your user or member ID and the name associated with your user or member ID in the cookie file on your computer. We also may record your password in this cookie file, if you indicated that you would like your password saved for automatic sign-in. For security purposes, we will encrypt any usernames, passwords, and other user or member account-related data that we store in such cookies. In the case of sites and services that do not use a user or member ID, the cookie will contain a unique identifier. We may allow our authorized service providers to serve cookies from our website to allow them to assist us in various activities, such as doing analysis and research on the effectiveness of our site, content, and advertising.
Opting Out of Advertising Cookies
You may opt out of our data collection for use by third-party ad companies to provide targeted datingup.net advertising to you when you visit other sites. Cookies are unique to each computer. Therefore, you must opt out separately on all computers you use. If you delete all of your cookies (specifically, the “Opt-Out” cookie), you will have to go through the opt-out process again to reactivate your opted-out status. You can opt out of receiving such advertising-related cookies by emailing email@example.com.
Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags, or web bugs) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of web users or to access cookies. Unlike cookies, which are stored on the user’s computer hard drive, web beacons are embedded invisibly on the web pages (or in email) and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence.
Web beacons may be used to deliver or communicate with cookies, to count users who have visited certain pages, and to understand usage patterns. We also may receive an anonymous identification number if you come to our site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website. Third parties may use anonymous information about your visits to our site and other websites in order to improve its products and services and provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.